The final showcase: Public art!

The final post! Can't believe how fast time goes by! 

And for the grand finale we have a fun little project, to virtually put a sculpture in an environment as if it were public art. We were prompted to create a sculpture based on the proportion relationship of a dominant, a subdominant, and a subordinate element. 

I tried to create some structures using those principles but I wasn't convinced of what I made, so I decided to bring one of my vessel's design as the star of the show.

And this is how it would look like if it ever gets built for public art! I'm still not an expert in photo editing but at least you can get the idea.


This course was really fun and opened a whole new world of possibilities in my mind. Each class felt like a refresher in the middle of the week, where I could learn something new without feeling any pressure of having to surpass grand expectations. That made me more motivated to create fun and creative objects for each assignment.

I discovered new programs like Tinkercad and Rhino, I learned how to use different tools from those softwares to create a 3D replica model of an object. Along with Greg, my classmates, and the help of the technicians, I learned how the laser cut machine works! I still have a lot to discover and understand the way it works, but at least I got a good understanding of how to prepare my files for laser cutting. With the papercraft project I got to improve my ability to envision information, by trying to understand how certain shapes should be unrolled to create a correct template, or by sketching the template first and then fold it to confirm the desired shape would be the result. I also learned how useful meshes can be to maintain the shape of an object when exporting it as an specific file (and for to unroll to create papercraft templates!)

I learned many technical fundamentals to create 2D and 3D objects in Rhino, but I was left as well with so much enthusiasm to learn more! 

Thank you for coming along with me on this journey, and thank you Greg for being such a patient, fun, and motivating instructor!

Comments